The first inhabitants settling here during Middle Ages were woodworkers.
They drifted the cut down trees through the creek into the valley.
Near the waterfall they built a hut as a shelter during their hard work on the mountain.
In the historical notes called ”Samer book” the following is written down in 1543: ”Georg Schmidt,
a hut at the waterfall. The hut was built without any permission from the Kastner (administrator of landowner).”
This means that Duftbraeu was the first building without any building permit ever documented on Samerberg!
The hut was built out of ”Duftstoa” (tuff) that could be found nearby, the property ows this tuff its name until
From 1870 until the destruction of the house by a fire in 1908, beer had been brewed here. During this time,
Duftbraeu was the highest situated brewery in Germany. The married couple Matthaeus and Anna Wallner bought the
site of the fire destroyed house and built the inn here. The graceful Duftbraeu chapel next to the inn was also
built by them. Their son, Matthaeus Wallner, continued the business together with his wife Anna. Their son
Matthaeus had run the inn until 1997. His wife Maria Wallner is heart and soul of Duftbraeu still today, her son Markus Wallner took over the management of the inn in 2001.